Sunday, March 31, 2013

New Experiments

I started this blog quite a few years ago in the hope that it would a sort of on-line journal, and a way for me to vent and deal with the fact that I live in Oklahoma and other issues that were not resolved by me marrying a psycholgist (he won't even psychoanalyze me in fairly safe areas, like telling me what my crazy dreams mean). Thus the title of the blog. I am still in Oklahoma, so obviously I have found a way to deal, even though it didn't include posting on this blog (my psychologist, and did I mention from Oklahoma, husband did help though). A HUGE part of my dealing is thanks to the awesome, amazing, totally cool community we found and have been doing life with these past two years. Several of the women of this awesome, amazing, totally cool community have started reading through a book called "7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess" by Jen Hatmaker. It focuses on 7 different areas that the author feels she needs to work on simplifying and reducing and which also happen to be 7 areas that consumerist Americans have a hard time with: food, clothes, media, spending, waste, possessions, and stress. As part of our book group we are attempting to do some of the experiments she did in her book. I am not going to strictly adhere to what she did, but rather I am going take the area of focus and look at several different questions and issues and apply it to my life, and hopefully incorporate it into the life of my family in a sustainable manner. My hope is that I can find permanent ways to affect the world around me day to day, especially those who are much less fortunate than I am, while I live in Tulsa, OK (not in sub-Sahara Africa working in an orphanage like I always thought I would be doing). Our book group started a facebook page to encourage one another and talk through issues that come up around each topic. However, since I already have a gazillion things I want to post about our first topic (food), I decided rather than inundate the facebook group with postings multiple times a day, I would reinvent this blog and post here. Mostly it will be a way for me to keep track of all my many thoughts, and to catalog my findings on each topic. Hopefully there will be some posts that will be useful to anyone who happens to mistakenly stumble upon this blog, but I also want to write about specific ways I can address the issues in Tulsa (for example what stores sell the most local, ethically produced eggs). Thus I think the title of my blog still kind of applies. And, honestly, I am just too lazy and not creative enough to think of something different/better. It took me long enough to come up with the current cheesy title. Needless to say, I am not the literary genius in my family. That title is held by my brother who will some day, I am sure, produce the next great juvenile fantasy series, and my mom, who no doubt will be editing my blog in her head as she reads it and shuddering at my overuse of comas.

2 comments:

  1. I'll be looking forward to reading your findings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's me, Mom! :-) (And I only edit one word in your whole blog, not at all bad for an English teacher.) I think your title & description are word-perfect. Where's the "like" button on this blog? Good for you with this blog. I hope by the time we retire you've got a list compiled of where and what to buy and not to buy so we can be moral and ethical but springboard off your work. (You may as well make it a book and publish. May not be a best seller, but I bet it will be a huge help to others and save them on re-inventing the wheel.) Interestingly, where we just were, they refer to other countries as "paises de consumo" - - which they certainly are not. You CAN'T be a "pais de consumo" when there is nothing to new TO consumir for over half a century. You just keep re-purposing or do without.

    ReplyDelete